The Thyroid is a gland in the neck shaped a bit like a butterfly. It is located in the middle of the neck just below the “Adam’s Apple”. It secretes hormones that regulate metabolism. Most people come to a surgeon if they have thyroid nodules, or an enlarged thyroid (goitre). Occasionally, people with an overactive thyroid may also require thyroid surgery to control related medical problems.
Thyroid cancer can develop within a thyroid nodule, and although thyroid nodules are relatively common, cancer is not particularly common. In Australia, about 2500 people will be diagnosed with thyroid cancer this year.
Symptoms of thyroid cancer may include:
- Lumps in the neck or throat
- Trouble with breathing or swallowing
- A hoarse voice or a cough that does not improve with time
A diagnosis of thyroid cancer is best made with a full examination of the head and neck including examination of the larynx (voice box), an ultrasound and a needle biopsy. Cure rates for thyroid cancer are generally excellent if treated properly. Treatment is usually with surgery to remove part or all of the thyroid gland. In some cases, Radioactive Iodine treatment may be used following recovery from surgery.
Surgery is best performed by a surgeon with significant experience in thyroid surgery, and experience treating thyroid cancer. A surgeon who regularly takes part in a multidisciplinary meeting discussing thyroid surgery will remain up to date with current treatments. The guidelines for thyroid surgery have recently changed, and a more minimal approach is now being favoured by international groups such as the American Thyroid Association (ATA).
Dr Magarey has experience numbering in the hundreds and will offer you excellent results from your thyroid surgery with:
- Thorough physical examination including the larynx (voice box)
- Close discussion with local pathologists for the most accurate diagnosis of any biopsy
- Up to date knowledge of current treatment guidelines
- Electrical monitoring of nerves to the larynx (voice box) during surgery
- Minimal incision and scarring
- Accurate follow up and monitoring
Dr Magarey has presented internationally, been published in cancer journals and written book chapters on the topic of Thyroid Cancer and will provide you with expert care.