The sinuses are air-filled spaces around the nasal cavity. Their function is not completely understood. The sinuses can be affected by infections, or inflammation caused by allergies and hayfever. The severe end of these problems can result in nasal polyps, which are benign lumps in the nose adding to symptoms of sinusitis.
Sinusitis can present with a number of symptoms including:
- Blocked nose
- Runny nose (rhinorrhoea)
- Loss of smell (anosmia)
- Pressure headaches across the face
- Mucus down the back of the throat
Dr Magarey is expertly trained to provide high level sinus care including:
- Complete examination of your sinuses
- Full discussion of all treatment options
- Medical therapy if required
- Minimally invasive endoscopic surgery
- Image-guided surgery for complex cases
An accurate diagnosis requires a thorough examination including a nasendoscopy (small camera placed into the nose to examine the sinuses). A CT scan may also be needed. Not all sinus problems require surgery and Matthew is well trained to determine the best treatment for your sinus problem. Surgery on the sinuses can help to relieve recurrent or chronic sinusitis.