HEAD & NECK CANCER
In Australia about 4500 people will be diagnosed with Head & Neck Cancer this year. Fortunately the frequency of head & neck cancer is decreasing. Although traditionally Head & Neck Cancers were related to tobacco smoking and alcohol, we are now seeing a new type of cancer related to infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV) which is frequently seen in non-smokers. Treatments for head & neck cancer have changed over many years, and options now include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or combinations of all three.
When treating your cancer Matthew will achieve optimal outcomes with:
- Comprehensive examination and investigations
- State-of-the-art office equipment
- Team approach, including plastic and reconstructive surgeons if required
- Modern operative techniques
- Minimal access surgery, including Robotic surgery and laser surgery
- Regular ongoing follow-up
The best treatments are offered if your cancer is detected early. A full examination of the head and neck, including a nasendoscopy (a small camera inserted through the nose to examine the lower throat and voice box) is the best way to diagnose a cancer of the Head & Neck. X-rays and biopsies may also be needed to complete the diagnosis.
Symptoms of Head & Neck Cancer may include:
- Pain in the throat or neck
- Lump in the throat
- Trouble swallowing or breathing
- Hoarse voice that does not improve with time
- Lump in the neck
- Ulcer on the tongue or mouth that does not heal with time
Dr Magarey manages hundreds of patients each year with Head & Neck Cancer. He has had expert training in Head & Neck Cancer in Australia and internationally and will be able to diagnose and treat your cancer with the knowledge that you will receive the best possible care. He is a member of the Head & Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary Meetings at Epworth Hospital, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and Box Hill Hospital. These meetings involve cancer surgeons, radiation oncologists, reconstructive surgeons, medical oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, speech pathologists, dieticians and nurses. The best care plan for your cancer is reached with complete team input.